Washington, D.C. — The highly-skilled team at SYNLawn Chesapeake Bay has experience working on a variety of artificial grass installations, including residential lawns, putting greens, playgrounds, public parks, commercial landscaping, pet-friendly spaces, and more throughout the D.C. metro area, including Maryland and Virginia. Perhaps their most unique project was for the 35-acre Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C., situated on Capitol Hill.
Beautifying a Historic Landmark
Originally known as the Washington Parish Burial Ground, Congressional Cemetery was the first truly national burial ground in the United States, and it is considered a National Historic Landmark. Nearly 70,000 burials of noteworthy individuals have taken place here since 1807. The interdenominational burial ground is operated by the Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery. Their property manager hired owner Kaitlyn Lord and the SYNLawn Chesapeake Bay team to install artificial grass in two places within the cemetery to decide if they wanted to replace more of the landscaping in the future.
This was the first cemetery project for SYNLawn Chesapeake Bay. The team installed 180 square feet of the finest quality turf available on the market, SYNLawn’s SYNAugustine X47. Known for its softness and durability, it will last for many years to keep this area of the cemetery looking green and beautiful while saving the Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery money and valuable resources.
Benefits of Artificial Turf for Cemeteries
When thinking of installation sites for synthetic grass, it’s likely that cemeteries are not top of mind. However, there are numerous benefits for burial grounds switching from natural grass landscaping to artificial grass, including:
- Little to no lawn care maintenance is required, saving both time and money. While natural grass requires dedicated maintenance staff to keep the cemetery grounds looking beautiful and befitting of a final resting place, artificial grass will stay green and pristine year-round without the need for ongoing upkeep.
- Eliminates the need for watering the grounds. According to the Synthetic Turf Council, the estimated total amount of synthetic grass installed in North America each year conserves more than three billion gallons of water.
- Helps reduce pollution since lawnmowers aren’t needed. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a gas-powered push mower emits as much hourly pollution as 11 cars, and a riding mower emits as much as 34 cars.
- Reduces environmental pollution like landfill waste. The EPA estimates yard waste makes up about 12% of what goes into landfills.
- Promotes sustainability since SYNLawn’s exclusive plant-based EnviroLoc™ backing system replaces up to 60% of the petroleum-based polyol with renewable soybeans.
Consider SYNLawn for Your One-of-a-Kind Installation
SYNLawn has a network of over 100 distributors throughout the Western Hemisphere who have the skills and experience to help you create unique landscaping installations for commercial clients. SYNLawn offers the greenest turf available with its proprietary Super Yarn™ Technology that uses a large percentage of renewable content, including soy and sugarcane.