Indianapolis, IN — The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis recently responded to alarming childhood and adult obesity rates by creating a new model of health and fitness for families called Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience (SLE). This permanent addition to the world’s largest children’s museum features 7.5-acres of 12 outdoor sports experiences, and 15,000 square feet of three indoor exhibits that encompass physical fitness. The team at SYNLawn Indiana was hired to install 1.4 acres of sustainable, plant-based turf to make part of the exhibit more inclusive, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing.
Creating a State-of-the-Art Youth Sports Complex
The Indianapolis Children’s Museum had an easy decision to make when it came to selecting a synthetic turf provider to enhance their new health and fitness exhibit. After seeing the high-quality work done by the SYNLawn Indiana team during Phase I of the Sports Legends installation, they knew continuing to work together with SYNLawn Indiana for Phase II was a natural choice.
For Phase II of the exhibit expansion, the SYNLawn Indiana team was asked to resurface a miniature hockey rink as well as a running/walking track for Children’s Museum visitors using the following:
- 27,700 square feet of SYNPour™ Poured-in-Place for the track in the Museum’s colors of green, blue, and orange.
- 2,500 square feet of SYNCourt™ sport tile court system with a custom Indy Fuel logo, a local youth hockey team, for the rink.
SYNLawn assisted with the following Children’s Museum SLE first phase experiences:
- 28,000 square feet of Sports Turf Blend in various colors for mini football, baseball, and soccer fields integrating Envirofill™ anti-microbial on these three fields. Two of the fields included custom logo designs for sponsors, the Indianapolis Colts and Subway Restaurants.
- Miniaturized replicas of 18 famous national and international golf holes designed by legendary golf course designers Pete and Alice Dye.
- Nine-hole introductory golf green and a nine-hole toddler course.
New Children’s Museum Hockey Rink Creates Kid Safe Surface for Players
The new hockey rink replaced an old concrete one with a bumpy, inconsistent playing surface due to painted lines. The SYNLawn team used the SYNCourt sport tile system to create a smoother, consistent flow for pucks and player’s skates. The one million-plus visitors that come to the museum now have an all-weather playing environment that blends in with the natural landscape thanks to SYNLawn Indiana’s efforts.
Consider SYNLawn Turf for Your Next Recreational Project
The Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience exhibit at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is just one of the many recreational projects completed by SYNLawn’s distributor teams. SYNLawn has a network of distributors across the country, and their teams have worked on hundreds of installations to create unique, custom installations, including sports surfacing. SYNLawn product offerings are the best choice for businesses and contractors looking to save on money, resources, utilities, and maintenance costs.